Friday 24 January 2014

Workshops - Sophie Rae, Woodland Inspired Monoprinting with Stencils 11th February

In keeping with the theme of ancient forests and wildlife for Katharina's exhibition Into the Forest, there will be workshops running throughout the week by Katharina herself and other guest co-ordinators, a chance to get creative and be inspired by wildlife!

Sophie Rae, Bristol based illustrator and print maker, will be running a workshop on:

11th February from 5.30-8.30pm
Hamilton House
80 Stokes Croft
Bristol BS1 3QY
£25

 To sign up for this workshop online, click on the workshops tab on this blog.

Have a look at this interview with Sophie to find out more about her love of printmaking:

What sort of prints do you make?
I am a member of Drawn in Bristol and work as an Illustrator and print maker. I create mono-prints by sketching and hand cutting paper. I also teach my techniques in workshops.

Are you solely a print maker or do you work in any other creative fields?

I spend most of my time printmaking, but I do occasionally like to pick up a paint brush and use watercolours. And when I do Illustration commissions I often tweak a couple of things in Photoshop.

What is your earliest recollection of making a print and what made you to want to do more?

I started printmaking when I was at University doing my Illustration Degree. I then created a way of working which meant I didn’t specifically need to be in a printmaking studio or have access to a press. I’d done screen printing and really enjoyed the effects you could get from it, but not the process so much. Then I found a way to work that I could do at home or just at my desk in my studio ,without needing all the big screen printing equipment. My way of working also allowed me to create more subtle and graduating tones, creating more depth and atmosphere and work spontaneously as I went along, by being able to add ink with my roller, after taking a step back. I feel more in control of the process this way I guess. Rather than putting all the effort into the planning stage I like to just get the inks out and go for it. 

What inspires you and are there any themes or ideas that often run through your work?


I am inspired mostly by the natural wonders of this beautiful world, including tranquil locations I’ve been to, bright colours and patterns, animals, vegetables are also really lovely. Leaves, the sky, flowers. Music… 

The work of which other print maker/s do you admire?

I love the work of Angie Lewin. She is also inspired by the walks she takes and the plant life she sees. And David Weidman, his lovely use of bright colours. 

Printmaking is made up of lots of different processes, which aspect do you enjoy the most?

That’s what I love about my process. The variety keeps things exciting. There is sketching, then cutting, then mixing the colours, then applying the ink to the paper. My favourite parts are probably the sketching and mixing the colours and applying the ink. (That's most parts isn't it!).



Do you have a favourite tool or something you find invaluable when printing?

My special durathene roller from Lawrence Art Supplies. It’s softness really allows me to get into small corners of stencils that I have cut, giving me the chance to put more detail in my work.







 - Sacha





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.